Sponge Bob Cake
by CJ Samonds
What You Need:
• 1 box of your favorite cake mix
• 1 strawberry fruit roll-up
• 4 Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls
• 8 Yellow Twizzlers (found in the Rainbow Twizzler bag)
• 1 can Chocolate icing (or you can make your own)
• 3 can Vanilla icing (or you can make your own)
• 1 tube of pre-made black icing (I used Wilton’s)
• Yellow food coloring (Wiltons—gel)
• Red food coloring (Wilton’s –gel)
• Blue food coloring (Wilton’s—gel)
• 5 icing bags
• Icing tips # 3 & 4
• Find a Picture of SpongeBob on the internet ( I “googled” Sponge Bob, that way I could get his facial expression and outfit right. Keep the Picture close by when you are decorating so you can use it as a refrence)
- Mix and bake cake according to directions on back of cake box. Cool cake completely before frosting.
- While cake is baking, mix icing colors. Mix yellow food coloring into one can of vanilla icing (Use a toothpick to slowly add gel coloring to icing. Color will darken as time passes) Split one can of vanilla icing into thirds and mix 1/3 blue, 1/3 pink, and 1/3 red. Leave remaining can of vanilla icing white.
- Once cake has cooled, cut out Sponge Bob by tapering down his body. His body is not perfectly rectangular, it is wider at the top than it is on the bottom. Save scrape pieces and use them for other parts of his body (ie..shoulders, feet)
- Frost ½ his body yellow, than frost a small strip white (for his shirt) and frost the rest w/ chocolate icing (for his pants). Look at the picture as a guide to help you determine how much of each color to frost.
- Cut about ¼ off the end of 2 swiss cake rolls, frost them with choc. Icing and stick them to the bottom of Sponge Bob (these are the bottom of his pants) If needed, use toothpicks or lollipop sticks to hold them into place better.
- Using the scraps (the corners work nicely) make Spongebob’s shoulders and attach them
to his body (this will become his shirt sleeve). Frost them with white icing and outline them using an icing bag with just the coupler (no tip….this gives you a nice fat line).
- Take the 8 yellow Twizzlers and stick 2 of them together, do this 4 times (you should have 4 groups of 2). If you wet your finger and rub it along the twizzlers edge, the other one will stick when you hold them firmly together. These (groups) will be Spongebob’s legs and arms. Place the “arms” firmly into Spongebob’s shirt, place the “legs” firmly into the swiss cake rolls that are now Spongebob’s pants.
- Cut 2 swiss cake rolls to look like feet (make one side flat and round out the toe). Attach those to the bottom of Spongebob’s legs and frost them with black icing (this icing is very thick, if you wet your fingertip it smooths out pretty well)
- Draw Spongebob’s face using a toothpick first (that way you can “erase” if necessary!) then, out line in the corresponding colors.
- Cut the strawberry fruit roll-up into the shape of a tie ( I cut out two tie shapes and stacked them on top of one another to make the red more vibrant)
- Add the details of Spongebob’s shirt and pants with the black icing.
- Make Spongebob’s socks by using the the white icing (in an icing bag) and make a small rectangle over his legs. Use the blue icing to make a stripe across the top of the sock and use the left over fruit roll-up to make a thin strip to put underneath the blue stripe.
- Put small amount of yellow icing in an icing bag and make hands right onto cake board.
- Use same icing bag to make a squiggle outline around Spongebob’s body to give him his shape.
- Mix remaining yellow icing with a little bit of blue icing to make a yellow-greenish color. Put it in an icing bag with tip #4 and pipe different sized circles on SB’s body to make him look like a sponge.
Sponge Bob is time consuming and very detailed, but very well worth it!!
SpongeBob Classic Party Favor Box