|Back to Back Issues Page|
The Icing on the Cake, Issue #009 -- What's New & Some Hard To Get Icing Colors
September 11, 2006
The Icing on the Cake, Issue #09 - What's New & and Some Hard To Get Icing Colors
Issue #9, Septemeber 11, 2006We added 11 new cakes to the Easy-Birthday-Cakes website in the month of August. Two of the new cakes were added to the Adult Birthday Cakes section, four were added to the Kids Birthday Cakes Section, two were added to the Character Cakes section, two cakes were added to the Sports Birthday Cakes section and one new cake was added to the Other Birthday Cakes section. As always, there is a picture and instructions showing you how each cake was made. Here are all the new additions in August. . .
1. Chicken Little Cake This is a sheet cake that was cut out and made to look like the popular movie character Chicken Little. Please click to see the Chicken Little Cake.
2. Tractor Cake This is a really cute cake that would be perfect for little boys who like tractors and such. It is a cake cut in the shape of a tractor with a cute animated face on it. Take a look and check it out. Please click to see the Tractor Cake.
3. Retirement Cake This cake was added to the Other Cakes section. This cake was made for a welder for his retirement, but of course it could be modified for any profession. Please click to see the Retirement Cake.
4. Justice League Characters Cake This is a sheet cake with the popular Justice League Characters on it. Please click to see the Justice League Characters Cake.
5. Monster Cake This is a cake made in the shape of a really cute monster. This is a unique idea for a children’s birthday cake. Check it out to see how it was made. Please click to see the Monster Cake.
6. Monster Face Cake This is a round cake that is decorated with just the monster’s face from the cake above. This cake (and the cake above) were actually made for a first birthday. This small round one was used as the “dig in” cake for the birthday child. Please click to see the Monster Face Cake.
7. Circus Cake This is an easy to make cake for a circus themed birthday party. It is a bright and cheery cake that is created in the shape of a circus tent. Please click to see the Circus Cake.
8. Hat Cake This cake could have easily been put in the unique cakes section as well. It is a very pretty cake that is made to look like a lady’s hat. It was made for someone who loves to wear hats! Please click to see the Hat Cake.
9. Beer Mug Cake This is sheet cake that is decorated to look like a beer mug. This is a great idea for someone who loves beer! Take a look. Please click to see the Beer Mug Cake.
10. Golf Birthday Cakes This is another variation of a golf birthday cake. Now there are two different designs of golf birthday cakes. Check this new one out and make sure to see the other one too. Please click to see the Golf Birthday Cakes
11. Bocce Cake This is a sheet cake decorated with a bocce court on top. This is a great cake to make for someone who loves to play bocce. Please click to see the Bocce Cake
Some Hard To Get Icing ColorsWe have received a lot of great questions through our contact form on how to get certain icing colors that are not easy to get. Specifically red and black icing. Also, a lot of people don’t know what colors to combine to get flesh colored icing, so in today’s newsletter, we are going to tell you how we get these colors.
One thing to remember, is that when colored icing dries, it dries a little darker shade than what you see before it dries.
Black and red icing are the hardest colors to get. This is what I do to get these colors.
I use gel paste food coloring in the jar. The key is to be prepared to use a lot of coloring. With black icing, keep adding a little black food coloring at a time until you have a medium black shade. It will dry a little darker.
To get red icing, I use the red (no taste) gel paste food coloring in the jar. Keep adding the food coloring until you have a good red color keeping in mind that it will darken a little when it dries. If you will be doing a cake that takes a lot of red icing like a lady bug, you will probably use two or three jars depending on the amount of icing that you are coloring. Make sure you are using the no taste food coloring so your icing will still taste great!
Just remember my rule for black and red icing colors = volume for true colors and it only applies to these two colors.
Flesh Colored Icing
To achieve a flesh color icing, simply add a very small amount of red and yellow gel paste food coloring to white icing. Repeat this until you have a nice flesh color remembering that it will dry a little darker. If you by chance get it too dark, simply add more white icing to lighten it up.
How to Stay Up to Date With All the New Additions. . .Remember, there are three ways for you to stay updated with all of the new additions to our Easy Birthday Cakes site:
1. Subscribe to "The Icing on the Cake" our monthly newsletter (which chances are you have already done if you are reading this).
2. Bookmark our Easy Birthday Cakes Blog Page. This way you can visit whenever you want and you will instantly see what are the latest additions. Click here to go directly to the Cake Blog page.
3. Subscribe to our RSS feed. If you do not yet know about RSS and would like to find out more, click here.
Have a great month!
Cristy and Cathy
|Back to Back Issues Page|