|Back to Back Issues Page|
The Icing on the Cake, Issue #004 -- What's New & Some Great Cake Presentation Tips
April 10, 2006
The Icing on the Cake, Issue #04 - What's New & Some Great Cake Presentation Tips!April 10, 2006
The Icing on the Cake brings you the latest additions to our cake decorating site Easy-Birthday-Cakes.com.
If you like this newsletter or like our site, please pass it on to a friend! We aim to help you make fantastic looking birthday cakes by giving you ideas, instructions and pictures of many different cakes.
If a friend did forward this newsletter to you, and you would like to receive it yourself, please subscribe by visiting The Icing on the Cake
Issue #4, April 10, 200620 new cakes were added during the month of March as well as 2 new sections that will hopefully make it easier for you to find what you are looking for.
The first new section that was added is the Character Cakes section. What I did was separate out all of the Character Cakes from the rest of the Kid’s Birthday Cakes because the Kids Birthday Cakes section was getting so big and is continuing to grow! Therefore, if you are looking for a certain cake, make sure you check both the Kids Birthday Cakes section as well as the Character Cakes section because some of the cakes could have been placed in either section, so I just chose one.
The second new section that was added was the Birthday Cake Directory section. This lists all of the cakes by section and in alphabetical order for each section. There are four pages in the Directory, so be sure to check it out if you want a quick overview of the entire site.
Of the 20 new cakes that were added during the month of March, 8 cakes were added to the Character Cakes section, 5 cakes were added to the Kids Birthday Cakes section, 3 cakes were added to the Unique Birthday Cakes section, 2 cakes were added to the Holiday Cakes section, 1 cake was added to the Baby Cakes section and 1 cake was added to the Sports Birthday Cakes section.
Here are all of the cakes that were added during the month of March…
1. Fish Sheet Cake This is a sheet cake that is decorated with fish and bubbles on the top. Please click to see the Fish Sheet Cake
2. Train Cake This is a sheet cake that is cut out in the shape of a train. This cake turned out really great. It was for my son’s third birthday. Please click to see the Train Cake.
3. Slot Machine Cake This is a really colorful cake to make for anyone who loves to play slot machines! Now this is a unique cake! Please click to see the Slot Machine Cake.
4. Frog with Blocks Baby Shower Cake This is a really cute idea for a baby shower cake or even a child‘s first birthday too. It is a sheet cake cut out in the shape of a frog with baby blocks. Please click to see the Frog with Blocks Baby Shower Cake.
5. Elmo Sheet Cake This is a sheet cake with elmo sitting on top. Elmo is made from the mini teddy bear cake pan. Check it out to see exactly how it was made. Please click to see the Elmo Sheet Cake.
6. Doll Cake This is a cake made with the wonder mold cake pan for the dolls skirt. Please click to see the Doll Cake.
7. Mickey Mouse Cake This cake was made for my son‘s 2nd birthday. It is an easy shape to cut out or you can use a cake pan that is already in the shape of Mickey if you prefer. Please click to see the Mickey Mouse Cake.
8. Easter Bunny Cake Just in time for Easter, this is a bunny sitting on a basket. Find out exactly how it was made. Please click to see the Easter Bunny Cake.
9. Barney Cake This is a cake cut out from a sheet cake in the shape of Barney the purple dinosaur‘s head. Please click to see the Barney Birthday Cake.
10. Dora’s Backpack Cake This is a cake made to look like Dora’s backpack. It is a great idea for any Dora fan. It was made for my niece’s third birthday who is a big Dora fan! Please click to see the Dora’s Backpack Cake.
11. Elmo Round Cake This is a another Elmo cake that is just a simple round cake. This is perfect if you are looking for something easy. Please click to see the Elmo Cake.
12. American Idol Record Cake This is a great idea for someone who is a fan of American Idol. Find out exactly how it was made. Please click to see the American Idol Record Cake.
13. Flounder Cake This is a cake made to look like Flounder from The Little Mermaid. This is a great cake for a Little Mermaid theme or any under the sea theme party. Please click to see the Flounder Birthday Cake.
14. Manger Cake This is a great Christmas cake. Find out exactly how it was made. Please click to see the Manger Cake.
15. Superman Emblem Cake This is a great cake for a little boy. Instead of putting the S on the Superman emblem, you can put the birthday boy‘s first initial instead. Please click to see the Superman Emblem Cake.
16. Sebastian from The Little Mermaid Cake This is a great idea for someone who is a fan of The Little Mermaid. Please click to see the Sebastian from The Little Mermaid Cake.
17. Football Field Cake This is a great cake for a football player or fan. It looks great, but it is easy to make! It can be made for any sports team that you want. Please click to see the Football Field Cake.
18. Monster Truck Cake This is a great idea for someone who likes monster trucks. I was going to put this cake in the Kids Birthday Cakes section, but I decided to put it in the Unique cakes section instead because I am sure there are many adults that would also love this cake. Please click to see the Monster Truck Birthday Cake.
19. Kermit the Frog Cake This is a sheet cake that was cut out in the shape of Kermit the Frog. Please click to see the Kermit the Frog Cake.
20. Dora & Boots Party Cake This is a sheet cake that has Dora & Boots on top. Please click to see the Dora & Boots Party Cake
Coming in April: I am going to be adding a new section in April. It is going to be made up of cakes that are for various special occasions such as graduations, bridal showers, first holy communions, anniversaries and anything else that will fit into this "other" category. We have a number of these types of cakes and they don’t really fit anywhere else, so a new section will be created for them.
I will also be adding plenty of new cakes to the existing sections, so be sure to check back often or subscribe to our RSS feed to find out as soon as they are added (find out how below).
Tips for Good Presentation of Your CakeGood presentation has a lot to do with how a well decorated cake is going to look. If you put your cake on just a white cardboard cake board, it will not look as good as if you present it in the following manner.
I like to use foam core board cut into the size that I need using a craft exacto knife. I then cover it with wrapping paper to match my cake. I use mostly solid colors, but sometimes I find that hieroglyphic paper works well also. I then cover the paper with clear cellophane so that the icing does not bleed through the paper. I find that the foam core board supports the cake much better than the cardboard.
How to Stay Up to Date With All the New Additions. . .Remember, there are three ways for you to stay updated with all of the new additions to our Easy Birthday Cakes site:
1. Subscribe to "The Icing on the Cake" our monthly newsletter (which chances are you have already done if you are reading this).
2. Bookmark our Easy Birthday Cakes Blog Page. This way you can visit whenever you want and you will instantly see what are the latest additions. Click here to go directly to the Cake Blog page.
3. Subscribe to our RSS feed. If you do not yet know about RSS and would like to find out more, click here.
Have a great month!
Cristy and Cathy
|Back to Back Issues Page|